We are your allies
Our team acts on behalf of companies of all sizes as well as their owners in various fields and at different stages of their evolution.
Our professionals investigate the tax aspects of purchasing and selling of Canadian companies on behalf of residents and non-residents of Canada, carry out reorganizations and restructurings in various contexts, assess the tax consequences of Canadian real estate on behalf of residents or non-residents of Canada and advise you when immigrating to Canada or emigrating from Canada. In addition, our team has expertise in American and international taxation which allows us to serve Canadian companies wishing to do business abroad, as well as foreign companies wishing to come to Canada.
In addition, our team can obtain technical interpretations and advance rulings from the tax authorities, prepare and negotiate voluntary disclosures with the tax authorities and represent you before the tax authorities with respect to audit and opposition. They represent you before the courts of first instance and appeal.
Our team works on tax planning for intergenerational business succession or key employees, as well as in the case of testamentary tax planning. We also set up trusts to freeze, split income, maximize the capital gain exemption and protect assets.
Our professionals interpret and advise on income tax, source deductions, GST, HST, QST and specific Canadian or international laws.
- Agricultural Taxation
- American Taxation
- Asset Protection Structure
- Business Taxation
- Consumption Taxes
- Corporate Structure
- Creation of social utility trusts, NPOs, foundations and charitable organizations
- Deductions at Source
- Drafting and reviewing by-laws
- Estate Planning
- International Taxation
- Interpreting Tax Treaties
- Legal and tax compliance of transactions involving NPOs and charities
- Notice of Assessment
- Obtaining registered charity status
- Personal Income Tax
- Representing Taxpayers
- Support to charities and donors for major or unconventional donations with respect to legal and tax issues
- Tax aspects for Purchasing and Selling Federal Companies
- Tax Implications of Canadian Real Estate
- Tax Litigation
- Tax Planning
- Tax Policy
- Tax Reorganization and Restructuring
- Taxation for Charities and Non-Profit Organizations
- Taxation of Non-Residents
- Transfer of agricultural businesses
- Voluntary Disclosure to Tax Authorities
COVID-19: The Canada and Quebec Governments Offer Assistance to Businesses and Workers...New Announcements!
On March 21st, the Therrien Couture Joli-Cœur team published a first version of this article. This article was updated following additional announcements made by both the federal and Quebec governments.
COVID-19: Federal and Quebec Governments Offer Assistance to Businesses and Workers
The COVID-19 pandemic brings its share of disruptions around the world, but also in Quebec, affecting all spheres of the economy as well as employees, the self-employed and owners of small, medium and large businesses.
Tax Audit – Can I Deal with it Myself?
It’s a Thursday afternoon at the office and you have just received a letter, from a tax authority, informing you of an upcoming audit of your business.