Bar Admission 1983
Law degree, Université Laval (LLB)
Real estate law, particularly the laws of co-ownership as well as administrative, including transportation law, dominate Michel's practice. He also works in civil and commercial litigation.
Michel has pleaded before all civil courts and several administrative tribunals in Quebec; he has been to the Supreme Court of Canada four times, in particular on the Reference regarding Secession of Quebec and twice, as a lawyer of the Quebec Bar, in cases related to litigation privilege and the unauthorized practice of law.
He developed the co-ownership law in Quebec through his involvement in condominium union groupings, trainings given on co-ownership and advice in specialized magazines and newspapers in the province of Quebec.
Michel was a Barreau du Québec representative of the Working Group and of the Advisory Committee of the Reform of Co-Ownership Law, which gave rise to the 2019 Bill 16, bringing about a major reform of the legal framework of co-owners in Quebec.
- Administrative Law
- Advice and representation
- Amendment of Declaration of Co-ownership
- Analysis of the Declaration of Co-ownership and legal opinions
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Call for tenders
- Civil Litigation
- Collection of common expenses
- Commercial and residential Leases
- Commercial leasing
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Negotiating and Drafting
- Contract Termination
- Drafting of building regulations
- Faults, faulty work, defects or hidden defects
- Insurance trustee service
- Legal opinion
- Management and Development of Divided and Undivided Co-Ownerships
- Management of co-owners’ meetings
- Managing reference units
- Neighbourhood disturbances
- Notice of exercise of a right of mortgage
- Notice of Legal Hypothec
- Obligations arising from the sale
- Professional Law
- Real Estate Law
- Representation at a meeting
- Security analysis
- Support in the preparation of meetings
- Supporting syndicate in the event of loss of insurance coverage
- Transportation Law
- Updating the syndicate's records
- Verification of titles and leases
- Warranty plan management
- Written waiver or formal notice
My unique experience is in co-ownership law, an area in which a small number of lawyers in the province have developed a real expertise in. In 35 years of practice, I have been confronted with all contentious issues in co-ownership and I orient my work and my advice towards settling these disputes rather than resorting to the courts. I also believe in alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and arbitration.
I have always been involved in arts organizations, an environment I cherish, having been and being on the board of directors for museum and music organizations in the Quebec City and Charlevoix region.
I am Vice-President of the Musical Club of Quebec and a board member of the Quebec Organ Competition, the Papeterie St-Gilles and the Félix-Antoine Savard Foundation.
In 2002, I received the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal for my social commitments, and since 2011 I have been on the list of Best Lawyers in Canada.
Business, Commercial and Corporate
Amendments to the Act Respecting the Legal Publicity of Enterprises - Corporate Transparency at the Heart of Priorities
Amendments to the Act Respecting the Legal Publicity of Enterprises aimed at promoting corporate transparency and the reliability of the information presented which came into force on March 17th, 2020.
Changes to Travel Restrictions for Immediate Family Members of Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made a new announcement on June 8th, 2020, regarding the reunification of Canadian citizens and permanent residents as well as their immediate families.
Business, Commercial and Corporate
Privacy and Personal Information: Beware of False or Misleading Representations
Facebook Pledges to Pay Over $9 Million in a Settlement with the Commissioner of Competition
Contact Michel Paradis